The primary goal of this project is to provide an infrastructure for digital multisensory systems (mainly mulsemedia). This project tries to answer how to bind different mulsemedia technologies in a smart way without decreasing QoE. Building such systems imposes a number of challenges and requirements due mainly to their ever-evolving and heterogeneous traits. As a result, few mulsemedia systems have remained reusable to be applied to different research purposes as opposed to the use of open mulsemedia datasets. Thus, the main product generated by this project so far has been PlaySEM SER – a framework for delivering sensory effects such as wind, smell, vibration, and light to heterogeneous systems. It deals with variability of scenarios in mulsemedia delivery systems, particularly with the variation of end-user applications and sensory effect devices through the support and reuse of even unforeseen protocols of communication and connectivity, and sensory effects metadata.
Brunel University London and the University of Kent (UK).
– Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (Brasília)
– European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme
PlaySEM SER’s Github repository:
– SALEME, E. B.; SANTOS, C. A. S.; GHINEA, G., A Mulsemedia Framework for Delivering Sensory Effects to Heterogeneous Systems, Multimedia Systems, Springer, 2019.
– SALEME, E. B.; COVACI, A.; MESFIN, G.; SANTOS, C. A. S.; GHINEA, G., Mulsemedia DIY: A Survey of Devices and a Tutorial for Building your own Mulsemedia Environment, ACM Computing Surveys, 2019.
– SALEME, E. B.; SANTOS, C. A. S.; GHINEA, G., Coping with the Challenges of Delivering Multiple Sensorial Media, IEEE MultiMedia, 2019.
– SALEME, E. B.; SANTOS, C. A. S.; GHINEA, G., Improving Response Time Interval in Networked Event-Based Mulsemedia Systems, ACM MMSys’18.
– SALEME, E. B.; CELESTRINI, J. R.; SANTOS, C. A. S., Time Evaluation for the Integration of a Gestural Interactive Application with a Distributed Mulsemedia Platform, ACM MMSys’17.
– SALEME, E. B.; SANTOS, C. A. S., PlaySEM: a Platform for Rendering MulSeMedia Compatible with MPEG-V, WebMedia’15.